Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Alphabet Baby Shower: DIY Invitations

So…I am officially an auntie! I thought I would celebrate my new nephew’s birth with a series about his baby shower that was 100% DIY including invitations, centerpieces, cupcake toppers, and the big day reveal!

I’m starting out with the DIY invitations, because invitations always set the mood for whatever event or party you are throwing.  The new mommie wanted both an alphabet theme with primary colors so there was a lot to work into the invitations.  On a side note, I forgot that green is NOT a primary color, so it is in there with the mixes of reds, yellows, and blues.  It also helped soften the boldness of those three colors so it was a win win. 

For this project (that makes 60 invites) you need:
  • 30 pieces cardstock in white or cream
  • 20 pieces colored cardstock – scrapbook sized
  • Paper Cutter
  • 4 rolls double sided tape (more or less depending on how liberal or stingy you are with your tape)
  • 60 envelopes 5.25x 7.25

Firstly, I googled some baby shower invites to get the feel of what I wanted to create including what information I needed to put on the invite, the layouts, and the style.  After a bit of that I designed this graphic:



I choose to use varying shades of yellow, which dipped down into some orange to soften the invitation.  I also used a bolder shade of blue for the first letter of the name and b in “b is for baby” to add some punches of bold, while still keeping the invitation from being too bold that it was overwhelming.  Lastly, I choose gray for the text color to keep everything soft and cohesive.  I figured that the invitation would have to be sized at 6 3/8 x 4.5 inches to make enough room for the boarder.  I originally was going to have just the plain white invitation, but I decided it needed a little somethin’ somethin’ to jazz it up. 

After I printed out 30 sheets of cardstock with the invitation, fitting two invitations to a sheet, I cut them down to size.  I also cut the scrapbook paper backgrounds down to size too at 5 x 6 7/8 inches.





It was pretty simple to assemble the invites after everything was cut and prepped.  I just applied double sided tape to the back of the invitation and stuck that sucker on.



Budget Breakdown:
  • Cardstock - $9.90
  • Scrapbook Paper $10.00
  • Tape $8.00
  • Envelopes $5.99 for a 50 pack (I had 10 left over from other projects)

Grand Total (without postage): $33.89

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you!