Monday, September 26, 2011

Come and Dig My Herb

Some people will be disappointed, and some will be thrilled (like me) when I say this herb is basil..and a bit o' parsley!  At the beginning of the summer I planted myself  a little herb garden. I used 3 white pots from Ikea with different line patterns to create some diversity.  I picked out some basil and parsley seeds.  These were way more than enough and you can keep them and replant them as needed.  You also need some potting soil, plant feed, and some rocks - nothing fancy I picked mine out of my back yard. 


I used the rocks to fill the bottom of the planters.  This is so that the water has somewhere to drain and your roots aren't drowning in the water at the bottom.  This step isn't as important if you have a pot with a drainage hole at the bottom.


Next, fill up your pots with soil leaving a little space at the top.  


 I poked 4 holes in each pot up to my 2nd knuckle and dropped the seeds in.  I did two pots of basil, which is the herb I will use the most, and 1 pot of parsley. 


Then sit back and watch them grow!  Don't forget to water a couple of times per week.  I can tell if they need water if their leaves are beginning to wilt.  They have too much water if the leaves turn yellow-ish.  A good way to tell if they need water is to stick your finger in the soil to see how moist it is.  



These little guys have come a long way, and they are almost (but not quite) ready to pick.  I am so excited to have fresh basil to cook with whenever I want, all year round!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you!