Tuesday, August 23, 2011

DIY Wedding Revisited: Favor Box Truffels

I had a hard time deciding on favors.  Mostly, because every time I go to a wedding I end up throwing the favor away.  I didn't want to spend $1.00 + for each guest to have the favor thrown away.  My all time favorite favors were can cozies and a Christmas ornament.  But since I didn’t want a “were here to party” feel and it wasn’t Christmas I went in a different direction: edible favors.  And not just any edible favors, DIY Oreo Truffles from Whimsey Love.  I used her tutorial with regular Oreos.  I used the freezer to cool them in between batches because they would harden faster that way without affecting the chocolate.  When you have 200 truffles to make cooling quickly between batches is essential.  I was able to make them several days a head of time and they kept perfectly for the big day. And don’t worry, the truffles didn’t look this sloppy after they were hardened and put in their boxes. 


I ordered some insanely cheap boxes off ebay – one of my wedding supply bff’s.  I crafted up some simple favor tags out of the same cardstock I used for my wedding programs.  This was so much cheaper than the up to $0.90 per label that some companies want.  I printed them on sheets of paper and used a hole punch to cut them out. 


After all the truffles were put into their boxes in mini cupcake liners (so incase they melted they wouldn’t melt on the table - it was August ya know!) I wrapped a ribbon around the box, placed the favor tag on top, and secured with hot glue.  We were able to store the favor boxes the in venue refrigerator and had our host couple put them on the tables minutes before guests arrived.  Our biggest concern was that since we were outside and it was August that we would have melted truffles. 


The day went smoothly and resulted in some stellar favors that were delicious and inexpensive!



*Pictures of the wedding day were taken exclusively by Amber Asman of asmanphotography.  In short, she rocks.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a template for the labels? And is there a link for the favor boxes?

    Ashleynach@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley - the template should be in your inbox! I bought the boxes on Ebay so i'm not sure if the seller still has any left. If you look on Ebay you can get some great deals!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you!